Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm going to Kenya!

I can't believe how fast this summer has gone! I head to New Jersey for orientation in a few days and then to Kenya on September 23rd. After graduating from St. Ben's in the spring of 2010, and passing the nursing exam I was accepted into the Catholic Medical Mission Board's (CMMB) medical volunteer program. CMMB began in 1912 and has since been working to help save lives throughout the world through the distribution of medicine and medical supplies, and the placement of volunteer medical professionals.

CMMB has assigned me to Saint Camillus Mission Hospital in Karungu, Kenya. Karungu is located on the shores of Lake Victoria, the second largest freshwater lake in the world. During my year's stay in Kenya I will have the once in a lifetime opportunity to serve people in the greatest need of healthcare.

With my departure date quickly approaching I am excited and nervous for my journey ahead. Thank you to everyone for your generous donations and all of the support. I will post has often as I can to keep you updated on my experience.

The following are CMMB and St Camillus Mission Hospital's websites:
http://cmmb.org/
http://www.karungu.net/

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment