Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Many forms of greetings.

The neighborhood kids keep the area busy. They are always out playing with tires, sticks, or the garbage in the garbage pit- anything can become a toy. I am greeted with a handshake, hug, or scream across the field every time I pass, even if it was just minutes before. “Mzungu! "Ciao! Amanda! Kayla!” These are the most common greetings I receive from the kids as they run toward me. “Mzungu” meaning white person, “ciao” coming from the Italian influences over many years, and the names of previous American volunteers. “No, my name is Emeelee.” Emily is a difficult to say so I hear many variations but I am starting to hear less “Amanda’s” and “Kayla’s” belted in my direction. I have no doubt that the next volunteer will be called Emily for quite some time. After we go over my name I usually add, “not chow, I say hello and goodbye.” A few of the kids are consistently saying “bye-bye” when I see them, but it’s an improvement.
             Outside of the compound I hear a lot of “chow and mzungu!” I am usually just passing so I respond with “ciao” or “habari” and a friendly wave. Watching me run is very entertaining and it never fails that at some point I have a group of kids running with me. I find it very awkward to be followed so I have started to let the kids go first and I follow them. They think it’s hilarious and it allows me to avoid the uncomfortable feeling. Often they last longer than I would expect but eventually drop off one bye one and I am left to run by myself or until the next group comes along. 
            Not everyone enjoys seeing me though. Some of the younger kids are scared and run the opposite direction. I don’t blame them, I would probably be scared of me too if I rarely saw a white person. Most of these kids still don’t come near me but they have stopped crying at the sight of me. So, everyone in and out of the hospital is getting used to having me around, learning my name, “hello” and “goodbye” and even my weird habit of running! 

3 comments:

  1. What does "Chow" mean? There are too many Italians in this place! ;)
    "Ciao" mzungu, angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny post, Emily.

    If you haven't already watched the CMMB video on the volunteer program here it is: http://www.cmmbheals.org/medical-volunteer-program.

    Be sure to share this with your friends and family so they know what great work you and your colleagues are doing around the world!

    Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete