Saturday, October 9, 2010

Communication... what?


I just concluded my week of orientation on children’s health ward (CHW). Last week I was on medical 2, the adult ward and next week I am off to the surgical ward. After orientation I’ll decide where to work based on my preference and where I am most needed, a decision that I know will be difficult!

Each ward has its own personality and of course each has its unique challenges. However, one common challenge faced on a daily basis is communication, in and out of the hospital.

In Karungu people speak Luo, which is the tribe in this area. Then most people speak one of the two national languages, Kiswahili or English. Most of the staff speaks English but they think I have an accent and to me they have an accent. No worries, I am not naïve to the fact that I AM the one with the accent! We also have a lot of Italians here… they think Americans speak like we have potatoes in our cheeks.

One day I was doing rounds with the Dr. P who spoke Kiswahili to a patient, who then translated it to Luo for the patient we were actually assessing and it bounced back ending with Dr. P talking to me in English. It takes some getting used to but it works! Another challenge in the hospital is what things are called. Cannulas are known as brannulas, charts as case-notes, tape as strapping and many drugs are in European names. I am getting used to the names and will no doubt be using the new names back home. 

During meals we represent all languages including Italian, Luo, Kiswahili and English. Everyone tries to stick to English and although there are a lot of blank stares, and “what’s” or “hmmm?” we get everything across eventually!

I am working on my Luo and Kiswahili and although I think I mix them a lot everyone is supportive and are great teachers.

I apologize for the time lapse of my blogs but websites work best in this order: Facebook, Google and then my blog! Of course Facebook would work best! Take care,

Emily

1 comment:

  1. Glad you recognize you are the one with the accent! I can't help you out with Luo ... but in KiSwahili you could say "Mambo?" ... the response is "Poa." Try it out with Dr. P.

    ReplyDelete